Topics in Open Source Development
This course introduces students to the technological, social, and pragmatic aspects of developing open source software through direct involvement in a real open source project/projects. Students will learn to use the tools, techniques, and strategies of OS developers. This is a project-based programming course. The particular open source project(s) to be studied will vary with each offering and be announced at the beginning of the semester.
This offering of DPS909 will focus on the Mozilla Project and Mozilla development. Students will be exposed to and taught the Mozilla tools, processes, and code base. In addition, they will also participate in the Mozilla community and in real Mozilla projects.
- 10% – Assignment 1 (Build Firefox)
- 50% – Assignment 2 (Major Project)
- 20% – Newsgroups Summaries (will discuss on Friday)
- 5% – Assignment based on Symposium
- 15% - Quizzes (will be announced)