XUL Runner Guide
The XULRunner project provides an "application runner" for building apps -- like Firefox, Thunderbird, and Sunbird -- atop the Mozilla toolkit framework. It needs a guide outlined, high-priority parts written, and examples created to help people get started.
Related tech and skills: XUL, documentation, cross-platform testing.
- Provided us a link to XULRunner examples in bsmedberg's blog
- Erin provided the screen shots of the XULRunner install on Windows.
- Provided lots of comments on how to fix the Hello World section of the guide
- Provided us a link on PDF Export from Wiki to help us get started
- Introduced us to mfinkle on IRC and also gave us his blog
- Helped to compile and convert the XULRunner guide to PDF.
- Help read through the whole guide and provided useful comments on the document
- Helped proof read v1 of the XULRunner Guide.
- Guided us on where to find certain information.
- Also gave us hints on what to put in the XR Guide Outline
XULRunner Guide Outline
Last Uploaded: Dec 13, 2006 4:35 PM EST
Last Uploaded: Dec 13, 2006 1:00 PM EST
Last Uploaded: Dec 12, 2006 1:36 AM EST
XULRunner Guide Todo List
Have the conversion between XULRunner application to extensions and vice versa. (This part isn't very important to have in the guide but its good to have) -- assigned to Vpmirand and PStD
- Add ways of debugging XULRunner application on the guide -- assigned to mylau --> done
- Proof read guide -- assigned to Colin, Mohamed Attar
- Put the whole guide into PDF format. (Once everything is done) -- assigned to mylau --> done
- Have a logo for the XULRunner Guide. Jeff --> done
Note: If you would like to contribute to any of this in the todo list or would like to add something to the todo list, please notify the Project leaders. Also, just because someone is already assigned to it, does not mean you cannot also work on it.
January 18, 2007 by mylau
- Changed the dead link for the XULRunner Guide v1.3
December 12, 2006 by mylau
- Special thanks to Mattar1 for proof reading our version 1 of the guide and Jbmossop for creating an icon for the footer of each page of the guide.
- Updated the wiki to match the PDF information,
- Updated the contribution list and the Todo List
- Sent an email to bsmedberg and attached a copy of the PDF file
December 13, 2006 by cbguy1
- Proofread the XULRunner Guide and made revisions as necessary and emailed the doc to mylau to be uploaded. to his site.
December 12, 2006 by mylau
- Thanks to mfinkle for providing me some feedback on fixes which needed to be made for the guide. I took most of his advice and made the modifications necessary.
- I looked at the guide cbguy1 posted but required a lot of work. I tried editing the PDF directly but could not find any good tool to use. I attempted to modify the PDF using Foxit Editor but I spent over 1hour learning how to do it. I realized this was not the best approach to modifying the PDF. Hence, I redid the whole document to PDF. I put all the written work on the wiki onto a word document and converted it using Open Office. This was the practical solution since most of the work in the document was not proof read and organized.
- Fixed some of the spelling and grammatical mistakes while reorganizing the document to fit onto the PDF.
- If possible it would be great if there were people who would like to proof read our document to ensure the document is sound.
December 11, 2006 by cbguy1 Sherman and I just finished compiling and editing the XulRunner Guide and converted it to PDF format. The guide can be viewed here
December 10, 2006 by mylau I added some of the minor details elichak mentioned in the Hello World discussion. She helped find a lot of the little mistakes that I would have never found. Just to note one thing she mentionied, posting bat files which creates the directory tree automatically, this won't be a good idea for the guide. The main reason is that bat files are Window's specific. Until someone creates a script which auto-creates directories for Linux and Mac, I won't put the bat file but thanks for the help.
December 9, 2006 by mylau Today I found a really good link for Deubbing XULRunner applications. I also finally finished the debugging XULRunner part of the guide. Looks like the guide is in good shape for the deliverable that will be sent to David Humphrey. All that needs to be done which is mandatory is putting the information in the wiki into PDF which Cbguy1 said would do.
Other things I worked on:
- Updated Todo list
- Updated the contribution list
December 8, 2006 by mylau
- Emailed bsmedberg on our progress of the guide and asked his feedback. Also mentioned to him that Colin and I will be sending him a PDF of our guide to date.
- Special thanks to User: Dwwoodsi for letting me know about the new Mozilla person mfinkle. I spoke to mfinkle about our guide and asked the person to provide feedback. mfinkle will most likely be emailing me back with feedback by the end of the day. Hopefully I'll have time to incorporate his feedback into the guide as well.
December 6, 2006 by mylau
Added a TODO list for the project
December 5, 2006 by mylau
- Converting to PDF
Talked to elichak about the conversion between Wiki and PDF. She mentioned the fact that in order to convert Wikis into PDF, I would need to embed some code like PHP into the Wiki for the converting program to work. This theory of her's did make senes since due to the research I've done last week had the same results. If I were to automate the PDF conversion, I would have to talk to ACS since they own the code base for zenit. I don't think I'll be using that method. It's too much of a hassle. Since the document seems pretty short, I'm going to put it into the PDF manually.
- I moved the November project news to an achieve.
- Debugging XULRunner
I've went back to listen to the workshop Ben Smedberg gave about XULRunner. I jotted some notes about how he debugged XULRunner and plan to post that section up on the guide later in the week.