Newer edit →
SRT210 Lab 6
2,367 bytes added
Created page with "= Objectives = * = PART 1: LDAP concepts = We'll use OpenLDAP in this course. The purpose of LDAP the way it's used most of the time is relatively intuitive, but the impl..."
= Objectives =
= PART 1: LDAP concepts =
We'll use OpenLDAP in this course.
The purpose of LDAP the way it's used most of the time is relatively intuitive, but the implementation details will take longer to understand.
LDAP is a generic directory access protocol, but we'll look at it specifically as a server containing user credentials that can be used for authorization on multiple machines.
You should read as much of the [https://www.openldap.org/doc/admin24/ OpenLDAP Administration Guide] as you can handle. You'll find that parts of it make no sense at first, but as you get more practice with the software and the concepts they become easier to understand. As a minimum, read:
* The introduction.
* The quick start guide.
* The configuration layout part of "Configuring slapd".
* There is a glossary at the end of the guide. It's not complete and it doesn't have any details, but it's a good place to look when you get confused by weird-looking shorthands like dc, dn, or cn.
= Part 2: Using OpenLDAP =
You won't be asked to set up an OpenLDAP server from scratch, we don't have time for that. So you can start with a VM I made for you.
Download [https://scs.senecacollege.ca/~andrew.smith/srt210/lin3.qcow2 the disk image here] and set it up the same way you've set up the midterm test review. You only need 512MB of RAM. Connect it to your network1 network.
The machine doesn't have any regular users, only root. Use whatever technique works for you to reset the root password so that you can log in.
OpenLDAP has been set up on it using [https://www.itzgeek.com/how-tos/linux/centos-how-tos/step-step-openldap-server-configuration-centos-7-rhel-7.html this itzgeek guide]. You should read that guide even though you don't need to perform all those steps yourself.
My OpenLDAP servre (lin3) has been set up with:
* The Domain Components dc=andrew.dc=ops.
* The admin username <code>ldaproot</code> and the password <code>seneca99ldap</code>
* An Organisation Unit named People, for regular users.
* With one regular user <code>john</code>, whose password you can change using the ldappasswd command.
= Lab completion =
* Make sure you understand what you've done in this lab, so that you're ready to answer questions about it.
* Have notes in your labbook from this lab.
* Show your work to the professor and have them sign your labbook.
Retrieved from "
SICT AR Meeting Area
get involved with CDOT
as a Student
as an Open Source Community Member
as a Company
Real World Mozilla
Course Project List
Potential Course Projects
About CDOT Wiki