SPO600 Host Setup
For SPO600, remote access to Linux systems is provided. Howerver, it is strongly recommended that you have access to a personal x86_64 (64-bit AMD/Intel) system. I recommend running the latest release of Fedora (or, optionally, CentOS) to match the class ARM servers.
This system could be set up:
- On your laptop
- As a virtual machine on your laptop
- On a computer at your home, ideally with SSH access (so you can connect to your home system from class)
- On a USB drive or external disk pack
You may want to installing virtual machine/emulation/simulation software on this machine, in which case a fast/large system is desirable.
Recommended system configuration (especially if using emulation):
- x86_64 (avoid installing a 32-bit version of the OS or using a 32-bit-only computer)
- Minimum 2GB RAM
- Minumum 50GB disk space
Initial software to install:
- Development tools and libraries (on Fedora:
dnf groupinstall "Development Tools" "Development Libraries").
- A GUI is optional and may not be required (especially if the system is being accessed remotely).