WORK PAGE FOR THE A-2 TEAM
|Last Name||First Name||Seneca Username||Blog Url||IRC Nick||Phone Number (optional)|
|First Name||Main Task|
|Andre||Implications for future use|
|Ljubomir||7:00pm onwards||-||11:40 - 1:30pm and 3:20pm onward||8:00am - 11:40am||8:00am - 11:40am|
|Michael||-||3:30PM onward||Noon onward||Noon onward||10:00 - 1:30|
ljubo: I've listed all the times I'm available to work on the presentation. Remember that we also need to prepare the powerpoint etc. I prefer to meet earlier. Tuesday is ideal for me.
ljubo: Siji, Michael and I are all available on Wednesday between 12:00pm and 1:30pm. The 4 of us should for sure meet during that time to make the powerpoints and plan the presentation based on all the research gathered, and even come up with some debate topics for the Q&A portion of the presentation. Each person will be responsible for practicing their own part of the presentation based on the powerpoint slides to make sure they can present in the allotted time.
There is also the "Thank You Letter" but that should be easy ;)
If anyone is feeling nervous and would like additional practice, I am willing to meet with anyone again later in the week during my available times to review the work that Siji, Michael and I will do on Wednesday, and even rehearse the presentation.
Siji: Folks, I just realized that we hadn't announced our topic on BB. I have done it now - under Discussion -> Forums. Better late than never, I guess.
Siji: I talked to Ms.Potter. Here's what we are expected to deliver for this project-
- Copy of Thank you letter sent to interviewee
- Contact form given in package ( see Blackboard )
- Technology profile 1 page
- Oral presentation - about 30 minutes long + 5 minutes for questions
- Outline of presentation ( go to Powerpoint - print outline view - include our names on our respective sections )
I guess the next thing to do is to find someone to interview, soon. Any ideas?
ljubo: I really like the idea to research Cloud Computing. I am still curious to know which company specifically we could interview. He mentions MS and HP. Are these possibilities?
ljubo: photosynth is another great idea. Andre, do you have a company in mind that we could interview?
Michael: I like the idea of cloud computing, Since I'm coming in so late, I'll simply do whatever the rest of you decide.
I decided to provide a general break down to six major aspects of cloud computing into major categories since there's six of us in the group. The contents are as follows:
- Intro/History (good for an introduction)
- Layers & Architecture (i.e. how it works)
- Types of Clouding
- Companies adopting the technology (i.e. MS, Intel, IBM, potential Canadian companies)
- Implications for the Future/Conclusion
Here is some information regarding cloud computing:
What is Cloud Computing? According to wikipedia, cloud computing is a model for IT services based on the Internet that typically involves the provision of dynamically scalable and often virtualized resources as a service over the Internet.
What does that mean? Well, in a cloud computing system, there's a significant workload shift. Local computers no longer have to do all the heavy lifting when it comes to running applications. The network of computers that make up the cloud handles them instead. Hardware and software demands on the user's side decrease. The only thing the user's computer needs to be able to run is the cloud computing system's interface software, which can be as simple as a Web browser, and the cloud's network takes care of the rest.
Characteristics of Cloud Computing
- Agility - improves with users' ability to rapidly and inexpensively re-provision technological infrastructure resources
- Cost - is claimed to be greatly reduced and capital expenditure is converted to operational expenditure.
- Device - enable users to access systems using a web browser regardless of their location or what device they are using.
- Multi-tenancy - enables sharing of resources and costs across a large pool of users.
- Reliability - improves through the use of multiple redundant sites, which makes cloud computing suitable for business continuity and disaster recovery.
- Scalability - via dynamic ("on-demand") provisioning of resources on a fine-grained, self-service basis near real-time.
- Security - could improve due to centralization of data, increased security-focused resources.
- Sustainability - comes about through improved resource utilization, more efficient systems, and carbon neutrality.
- Maintenenace - cloud computing applications are easier to maintain, since they don't have to be installed on each user's computer.
Here are a few articles you may find interesting:
Please review the handout called "Innovations in Business Communication Technologies.doc" (it's on Blackboard). It explains what is required for this part of the project.
The following is copied from that document...
"NOTE: ALL TEAM MEMBERS MUST PARTICIPATE IN EACH PHASE OF THE PROJECT AND CONTRIBUTE SIGNIFICANTLY TO RESEARCHING INFORMATION, INTERVIEWING CONTACTS, WRITING DOCUMENTS AND POWER POINT CONTENT, AND PRESENTING ORALLY.
DESCRIBE EACH TEAM MEMBER’S TASKS BELOW. (The chart is expandable, so take the space needed to include detail as you type.)"
I believe all we need to do at this point is subdivide our individual tasks and give ourselves some due dates. If everybody can update this wiki first, we can use the invormation to fill in the required chart on "Innovations in Business Communication Technologies.doc".
Remember, this is due on Tuesday, so please don't leave it for the last minute (even though it is the last minute). Please try to fill in your portion by Monday 12:00pm (noon) at the latest. This gives the other team members a chance to review your choices before Tuesday.
|Task 1 - Submit a summary report describing the architecture||Feb 23rd, 2010|
|Task 2 - Submit a summary report that defines the following layers - Clients, Application, Platform, Infrastructure, Servers||Feb 26th, 2010|
|Task 3 - Submit the 1st draft of a detailed report on layers and architecture with an emphasis on specific devices researched by the team, and reference the interviewed company - allow team members to review and edit||Mar 16th, 2010|
|Task 4 - Submit final draft of the report and a plan for presentation||Mar 23rd, 2010|
|Task 5 - Prepare final presentation||Mar 30th, 2010|
|1 - Report about potential future use||Feb 23rd, 2010|
|2 - Report about future development and implementation||Feb 30th, 2010|
|3 - Based on an interview with a company, draft a new report on CC technology future planning and usage||Mar 08th, 2010|
|4 - Submit Plan for presentation||Mar 23rd, 2010|
|5 - Prepare final presentation||Mar 30th, 2010|
|Research Devices for Cloud Computing||23-2-2010|
|Complete Report on research||2-3-2010|
|Finalize Questions for Interview||9-3-2010|
|Submit Progress Report||16-3-2010|
|Review Final Presentation||30-3-2010|
|Research on History of cloud computing , the definition and how it woks||23-02-2010|
|Complete Report on research||02-03-2010|
|Finalize Questions for Interview||09-03-2010|
|Submit Progress Report||16-3-2010|
|Task 1: Gather details on characteristics and advantages of CC||Mar 8|
|Task 2: Come up with related interview questions||Mar 12|
|Task 3: Prepare for progress report||Mar 15|
|Task 4: Contribute presentation material||Mar 22|