ULI101 - Introduction to Unix/Linux and the Internet
Assignment #1: Introduction to Unix/Linux Concepts
Objective: To gain experience with some of the fundamentals of Unix/Linux commands and the file system.
Due date: October 4, 2019, by midnight
Value: 6% of final course mark
Perform the following steps on Matrix:
- Make sure that you have access to the Matrix server, which is required to do the ULI101
- If you have never logged into Matrix before and you are new to Seneca, check your email for confirmation
that your Matrix account has been automatically created. Contact
firstname.lastname@example.org in case of problems.
- Your Matrix account should be the same userid and password as your Seneca Email and Blackboard accounts.
- To begin Assignment 1, enter the following on Matrix:
- You will see the following screen, please select the correct ULI101 section and professor (A to ZD):
Please Identify Your ULI101 Section To Continue
This can be changed later if you move to a different section, or if you have entered an incorrect
section. Note that you can only be given credit for this Assignment if you have specified the
Select a section from the following list:
A - Brian Gray R - Chris Johnson
B - Brian Gray S - Ayesha Manzer
C - Brian Gray T - Ayesha Manzer
D - Brian Gray U - Ali Nezhad
E - Harvey Kaduri V - Ali Nezhad
F - Murray Saul W - John Selmys
G - Mark Buchner X - Murray Saul
I - Murray Saul Y - John Selmys
L - Eric Brauer Z - Tiayyba Riaz
M - Eric Brauer ZA - Chris Johnson
N - Eric Brauer ZB - Tiayyba Riaz
O - Michael Huang ZC - John Selmys
P - Azzad Kara ZD - Ahad Mammadov
Q - Murray Saul
Enter one of the section identifiers from above:
- You will see the following important notes on the next screen:
ULI101 Assignment 1: Notes
Some important notes on this Assignment:
(1) You do NOT have to do this whole Assignment in one sitting! Any completed sections will
(2) You may abort the Assignment at any time by pressing Ctrl-c but you may lose any work done
on an incomplete section.
(3) Instructions for each page will be displayed at the bottom of the screen.
(4) The answers expected in this Assignment are derived from the Assignment itself and the
course notes. The course notes should be used as a reference, if required. Using Google or
another search engine may provide answers that are not accepted by the Assignment.
(5) This Assignment is maintained by Les Czegel. Please try to resolve any problems with your
instructor who will determine if Les should be contacted.
Press <ENTER> to continue (or enter: 'm'-main menu).
- Hit ENTER and you'll see the following, assuming you selected section "A":
ULI101 Assignment 1: Selection Menu
1 Introduction to Unix Commands
2 Basic Unix Commands
3 Directory Management
4 Practice Commands To Create A Directory Structure
5 Create A Directory Structure
6 Practice Specifying Path Names
Marks earned so far for ULI101 Assignment 1: 0 out of 6
The highlighted lines above indicate the incomplete parts of the Assignment.
There is a total possible mark of 6, with 1 mark added for each completed
part. Late marks will be deducted at the rate of 0.6 marks (10%) per day for
parts completed after midnight of October 4 2019.
You cannot lower your overall mark by completing additional parts, no
matter how late. Only the additional parts will receive late penalties.
You are currently registered to ULI101 Section A - Brian Gray.
Select 'C' if you need to change your ULI101 Section.
Enter a menu selection or 'q' to quit:
- As you can see, the assignment is divided into 6 parts. Incomplete
parts will be highlighted, as will incomplete sections within each part.
- There is a total possible mark of 6, with 1 mark added for each completed part.
- As noted, late marks will be deducted at the rate of 0.6 marks (10%) per day for
parts completed after midnight of October 4.
- When you complete each section, your updated mark will be displayed on the main selection menu.
- Assignments MUST consist of the student's OWN work and MUST run on Matrix.