- 1 Don't Crash Into Buildings!
- 1.1 Member List
- 1.2 Member Roles
- 1.3 Proposal
- 1.4 Map of the World of the Game
- 1.5 Moderator's - Instructors Comments
- 1.6 Important Project Due Dates
- 1.7 Meeting Schedule
- 1.8 Meeting Log
- 1.9 Useful Links
Don't Crash Into Buildings!
|First Name||Last Name||Seneca Id||wiki id||IRC nick||Blog URL||MSN|
|YuJin||Jeong||yjeong||yujin.jeong||_YJ||Spirit & Soulemail@example.com|
|YuJin|| 1. Book Meeting Room Every Week|
2. Meeting Log
Don't Crash Into Buildings !
In our game, you will be the captain of a ship. The main engine of this ship is stuck on full blast, so it cannot ever stop. The ship is travelling through an increasingly dense urban landscape, and it is your goal to avoid crashing into anything for as long as possible! To accomplish this goal you have a view of your ship from high above it, allowing you to see buildings as they race towards you. You also have a set of maneuvering thrusters, which can push your ship back, forwards, left, and right on a two-dimensional plane. This will hopefully allow you to avoid crashing into buildings!
The top down view of your ship is provided by a camera moving at a constant speed. This camera provides a limited view of the area around your ship, and your ship cannot move out of this area, or it will crash into an unseen building. This results in you having a mostly static view of your ship as it flies forward through the city. Crashing into a building will kill you. Try to avoid this. The maneuvering thrusters on your ship are unlimited use, and can move you at a constant speed around the viewable area.
Due to overzealous construction, all of the entrances and exits to the city's planning department were blocked with buildings while the department was meeting to create a layout and zoning plan for the city. As a result, the placement of buildings in the city is random! There is, however, guaranteed to be a navigable path for your ship through the city, due to the actions of the Emergency Runaway Spacecraft Advance Demolition Crew, who are busy carving a path of destruction offscreen, just so that the game isn't impossible. All of the buildings in the city are rectangular in shape, making the collision detection code much easier to write.
Enhanced Don't Crash Into Buildings !
(Some or all of these features may be added to/replace features in the base game, depending on time constraints)
- Rather than move you at a constant speed, your thrusters can accelerate you (up to certain maximum speeds). This can provide additional challenge.
- Rather than being instantly killed by a collision, you could have shields on your ship which regenerate over time. This would be damaged by collisions in direct proportion to the speed with which you collided with the building, and you will die if it's reduced to 0
- Could transition between levels, or have moments of blank space giving a chance to rest, followed by a change in environment/city textures
- Have three dimensional movement (up + down, along with forward + back + left + right), combined with shorter buildings that can be flown over or buildings that have gaps in them
- Because it is important to be at the correct altitude to fly through the gaps/over them, we could have an altitude meter with different colours. The gaps in the buildings could be marked with those colours, and then you can match up those colours with the altitude meter to know that you're at the correct height to pass through the gaps
- Vertical movement should be between a set of discrete values, due to the difficulty in telling exact height from a top down perspective, even with an altitude meter
Map of the World of the Game
Moderator's - Instructors Comments
Important Project Due Dates
|2. Proposal completed and members roles selected||September 28|
|3. Research into game requirements begins||September 29|
|4. Approval meeting with instructor||Weeks of October 3 and October 10|
|5. Draft game submission and project review||November 16|
|6. Final game presentation||December 7|
|Date and Time||Place|
|Sept 30, 09:50 AM||TBA|
Sept 16th Meeting
Meeting place : Room 1131, Seneca Library
- Look for the last member
- Brainstorming on our game - share any ideas in mind
- Decide member roles
- How this group will work
- Set regular meeting schedule
- at least once a week
- share each other's timetable
- Brian joined our group !
- Agreed on David's idea - he will put up more details on wiki page
- Will be decided later
- Work under one trunk
- Regular Meeting Schedule
- in-person meeting
- at Seneca Library - YuJin will book the room every week
- on every Thursday between 9:50am and 11:40am
Sept 23th Meeting
Meeting place : Room 1132, Seneca Library
Meeting time : 9:50am ~ 11:40am
- Finalize our game proposal
- Divide roles & responsibilities
- Keep updated
- subscribe to team page and course pages
- subscribe by clicking 'watch' of each page menu
- subscribe to team page and course pages
- Creating our own private team page ???
- to disclose certain information of our group project ???
- Uploaded game proposal - there might be changes in the future
- Will divide roles after having meeting with Chris
- (was just notification)
- (wasn't discussed)
- New meeting schedule
- We will have meetings every Thursday AND Friday
- Will have to figure the exact meeting time soon (for Fridays)