Difference between revisions of "SRT210 First Half Review"
(Created page with "This week we'll review everything we've done in the course so far, in order to prepare you for the test. * Start by downloading [https://scs.senecacollege.ca/~andrew.smith/sr...")
Latest revision as of 09:10, 15 February 2019
This week we'll review everything we've done in the course so far, in order to prepare you for the test.
- Start by downloading this KVM virtual machine disk image.
- Create a new virtual machine, name it "review", and select the downloaded image to use as a virtual disk.
- Do at least all the BASIC exercises below. If you still have time, do the intermediate ones as well. The advanced ones are intended to be the biggest challenges.
- If you find any of the basic ones are challenging - spend more time on that material before the test.
- BASIC There are some documents in /home/hr on your image. Since you don't have the credentials to log in to the machine - use a different technique to retrieve them to your c7host.
- BASIC Reset the root password on the VM so that you can log into it as root.
- INTER Copy the shadow file from the VM's image and ron John the Ripper on it to see whether you can crack any of the users' passwords.
- ADV This VM has Wordpress set up on it. Get the password for the user andrew from the wordpress configuration.
- ADV Set up the system so that you will get an email whenever a user logs in (you decide whether any user or a specific user).
- CRA Find the mysql root password. It's there somewhere but not in an immediately obvious place.
- BASIC Set up the VM to work on your network1, and using opendns directly (not via your Bind setup).
- BASIC Get MAC address of c7host, lin1, lin2 from the new VM without SSHing to those machines.
- BASIC Try to get the MAC address of the Seneca gateway from new VM. If you can't do it - you should be able to explain why.
- BASIC Use traceroute in the new VM to find the host's default gateway.
- INTER Spoof the MAC address of the network card in your VM.
- ADV Capture all network traffic on the new VM's default gateway on the virbr interface and save it in a file.
- BASIC Set up iptbles to serve as a useful firewall with just two rules.
- BASIC Allow DNS queries from internal subnet only.
- BASIC Run /root/iptables-dns-fail-setup.sh which will reconfigure your firewall and find what's causing DNS queries to fail.
- BASIC Run /root/iptables-ssh-fail-setup.sh which will reconfigure your firewall and find why SSH traffic is not allowed in.
- INTER List ports the VM is listening on and scan for whether they are exposed externally.
- ADV Set up a new chain in the filter table to allow only specific machines access to MySQL.
- BASIC Check whether it's enabled.
- BASIC Find the security context of several files, determine whether web server should be able to read them.
- INTER Modify security context for web server to be able to write to the wordpress upload directory.
- ADV Verify that the above worked.
- BASIC Use host to find A records
- BASIC Use dig/nslookup to find A vs CNAME records
- BASIC Use dig to find authoritative name servers for gmail.com
- BASIC Use dig to get authoritative MX records for gmail.com
- BASIC Configure Bind on lin2 with reverse DNS records for senecacollege.ca, google.com, ietf.org and check that they work in firefox anyway