Milton Paiva Neto
Host OS: Fedora Core 10 x64
Guest Os: FreeBSD 7.1 i386
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T5450 @ 1.66GHz
- How my processor does not have the instruction vmx I could not use kvm, then I used Virtual Box that only supports 32 bits guest operational systems.
Installing a port: Install a port is the same thing as compile and install a software from the source in Fedora, just ./configure, make, and make install.
Configuring Network On freeBSD (Virtual Box)
Host Setup: Dell Laptop D610 Fedora 9.0
- 22.214.171.124 IP for Host NIC (Connected to Internet)
- 192.168.122.1 IP Host Machine's Vibr0
On Virtual Machine FreeBSD
- ifconfig em0 192.168.122.10 netmask 255.255.255.0
- route add -net 0.0.0.0 192.168.122.1
- vi /etc/resolv.conf
- nameserver 192.168.122.1
The most advantage of using packages is that it would save your time when you install large applications on your slow machine. The other benefit is that it is easy to install and you don't need to read the boring document. By comparison with package, the benefit of ports is that the technical person can install the application according to his requirement.