Features and Benefits
OpenGrok analyzes CVS versioning histories in order to get the versions. OpenGrok currently does not support branching properly.
Blog about OpenGrok that explains file history better. This means that it is not really the best choice to use the CVS history information for indexing mozilla code because the history tracker will just use the newest version of the file, not the branch that it is in, thus, It would be a wise course of action to have either one opengrok webpp for each branch or have one opengrok with all versions in it.
In File Linking
The indexer hyperlinks all symbols to the file and line number of their declaration. If the symbol is in multiple files it shows a list of all files which have it.
The header and footer are completely customizable. OpenGrok could be integrated with the current MDC.
I will be listing notes for my own reference, feel free to use them
- Install Ubuntu Linux as a server from the Ubuntu DVD
- Install the following packages
- ctags -> exuberant-ctags - sun-java5-jdk - tomcat5 tomcat5-admin tomcat5-webapps - Installs GNU Java which must be removed -make -CVS
- Run "sudo update-alternatives --config java" and "apt-get remove --purge java-gcj-compat"
- Change the tomcat5 config (/etc/default/tomcat5) to point to the new default Java runtime (/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5.0-sun/) and disable the security manager, until that can be figured out
- Setup a Mozilla code directory (mkdir /var/mozilla)
- Follow guide at the OpenSolaris Project Guide
- /var/lib/tomcat5 is the default $CATALINA_HOME for Ubuntu, but Ubuntu's packages are non-standard
- /etc/default/tomcat5 has some configuration files
- My SRC_ROOT is /var/mozilla
- My DATA_ROOT is /var/opengrok/data
- My run.sh uses a ctags at /usr/bin/ctags not the default in the run.sh
- Setting up the Admin webapp here
- be able to start/stop tomcat5/5.5 init.d script
- write access to $catalina.home/webapps/
- write access to tomcat5/5.5 configuration files
- have a non-home folder writable, personal preference for /var/mozilla
- Tomcat5 or 5.5
- Sun Java JRE and JDK 1.5.0
- CVS and Subversion