OSD600 Winter 2010 Weekly Schedule
Part I – Essential Open Source Development Skills and Concepts
Week 1 (Jan 11) Course introduction
- Course introduction
- Intro to open source
- Intro to Mozilla project
- "Cathedral and Bazaar" by Eric Raymond
- "Revolution OS" [film] (see also http://www.revolution-os.com/ or QA 76.9.A25 R68 2003)
- Mike Shaver (Mozilla Corporation VP of Engineering) discusses the Mozilla Manifesto [MP3]
- Article about Mozilla and Firefox in the New York Times
- Complete readings and watching/listening to this weeks resources.
- Create an account on this wiki for yourself
- Create a personal wiki page on this wiki, and add a link for yourself to the People page as well as the Winter 2010 students page
- Create a blog (wordpress or blogspot or whatever) and create a feed category or tag called "open source"
- Read the Blog Guidelines for instructions on how to use your blog in the course
- Add your blog feed and info to the Open Source@Seneca Planet List so that it appears in the OpenSource@Seneca Planet
- Blog on your reactions to the readings for this week, and also introduce yourself.
- Begin learning how to use IRC for communication. We'll cover this in detail next week, but it's better to get started early.