OOP344 - HOTYS IRC Logs - 071810 - 20102

From CDOT Wiki
Revision as of 13:37, 26 September 2011 by MCanaday49 (talk | contribs)
Jump to: navigation, search

This is the log for Sunday July 18 2010


Session Start: Sun Jul 18 11:25:02 2010 Session Ident: #seneca-HOTYS ->03[11:25] * Now talking in #seneca-HOTYS ->03[11:25] * anthony.freenode.net sets mode: +ns ->03[11:29] * OzZy_M changes topic to '---> Meeting Will Start @ 12 - 12:30*' ->03[11:47] * slaw12 (~chatzilla@CPE00173fedf769-CM001868e9fa14.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com) has joined #seneca-HOTYS ->03[11:48] * _YJ (~chatzilla@CPE0022b0d1b62a-CM001692fb1c3c.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com) has joined #seneca-HOTYS [11:56] <_YJ> Hello ! [11:56] <slaw12> mornin! ->01[11:58] <@OzZy_M> Hello ->01[11:59] <@OzZy_M> Sorry I was making breakfast [11:59] <slaw12> what's for breakfast? :P ->03[11:59] * TonyKim (~tony_core@CPE60fb42f3cf3a-CM000a73655cdb.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com) has joined #seneca-HOTYS ->01[11:59] <@OzZy_M> steak and eggs [11:59] <TonyKim> Hello! ->01[11:59] <@OzZy_M> :) ->01[11:59] <@OzZy_M> sup tony [11:59] <slaw12> hi tony [11:59] <TonyKim> What'up Ozzyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy? ->01[12:00] <@OzZy_M> high again tony? :D [12:00] <_YJ> LOL [12:00] <TonyKim> lol [12:00] <_YJ> are you okay tony ? [12:00] <_YJ> lol [12:00] <TonyKim> Yup ->01[12:01] <@OzZy_M> nivr ->01[12:01] <@OzZy_M> nice ->01[12:01] <@OzZy_M> i sense productive day ->01[12:01] <@OzZy_M> lol [12:02] <_YJ> shall we start the meeting ? ->01[12:02] <@OzZy_M> Han will not be showing up today ->01[12:02] <@OzZy_M> so we should start [12:02] <_YJ> go ahead Ozzy :-) [12:02] <_YJ> please lead us ->01[12:02] <@OzZy_M> ok [12:02] <_YJ> kkkk [12:02] <slaw12> yup let's do it! ->01[12:02] <@OzZy_M> lol ->01[12:02] <@OzZy_M> sorry i was stuffing my mouth :P ->01[12:02] <@OzZy_M> anyways ->01[12:03] <@OzZy_M> we have this project to do ->01[12:03] <@OzZy_M> so ->01[12:03] <@OzZy_M> the first order of business ->01[12:03] <@OzZy_M> is to establish our lighthouse account ->01[12:03] <@OzZy_M> which I started ->01[12:03] <@OzZy_M> I sent out invites ->01[12:03] <@OzZy_M> everyone signed up? [12:03] <slaw12> yes [12:03] <_YJ> seem everyone accepted your invite ->01[12:03] <@OzZy_M> I created the project site ->01[12:04] <@OzZy_M> so ->01[12:04] <@OzZy_M> I suggest we try and familiarize ourselves with it ->01[12:04] <@OzZy_M> Tony ->01[12:04] <@OzZy_M> you were not there for the metting with catherine [12:04] <TonyKim> I did. ->01[12:04] <@OzZy_M> I believe I filled you in though right? [12:04] <_YJ> tony signed up for lighthouse [12:04] <TonyKim> I was reading the IRC log. :) ->01[12:04] <@OzZy_M> awesome ->01[12:04] <@OzZy_M> ok ->01[12:04] <@OzZy_M> so ->01[12:04] <@OzZy_M> now ->01[12:04] <@OzZy_M> lets talk about the project ->01[12:05] <@OzZy_M> first ->01[12:05] <@OzZy_M> we need to split up the work ->01[12:05] <@OzZy_M> I was thinking ->01[12:05] <@OzZy_M> to put the functions in an order ->01[12:05] <@OzZy_M> whatever the order maybe [12:05] <_YJ> I want to do ioedit and iovedit !! [12:05] <_YJ> kk ->01[12:05] <@OzZy_M> then work top down ->01[12:05] <@OzZy_M> as opposed [12:05] <slaw12> i want iolabel ->01[12:06] <@OzZy_M> ok ->01[12:06] <@OzZy_M> how many mandatory ones are there? [12:06] <TonyKim> I want IOForm? maybe? ->01[12:06] <@OzZy_M> 7? [12:06] <_YJ> and tony wants 7 [12:06] <_YJ> wait [12:06] <slaw12> 5 [12:06] <_YJ> sorry ignore above [12:06] <_YJ> there are 7 classes [12:06] <_YJ> since ioedit/iovedit both are kind of related to each other [12:07] <_YJ> I can take both ->01[12:07] <@OzZy_M> ok [12:07] <_YJ> and on other person can take two classes ->01[12:07] <@OzZy_M> first ->01[12:07] <@OzZy_M> Yujin [12:07] <_YJ> okay ->01[12:07] <@OzZy_M> explain what those classes do ->01[12:07] <@OzZy_M> we should explain each while we're all there ->01[12:07] <@OzZy_M> here* ->01[12:07] <@OzZy_M> incase more questions pop up [12:07] <_YJ> lol (I'm nervous) okay I will try ->01[12:07] <@OzZy_M> lol ->01[12:07] <@OzZy_M> it's ok ->01[12:07] <@OzZy_M> we're all friends here [12:08] <_YJ> IOEdit is responsible for running iof_edit function [12:08] <_YJ> it will receive info such as str, row, col and so on [12:08] <_YJ> and call iof_edit accordingly ->01[12:09] <@OzZy_M> you siad [12:09] <_YJ> it checks various other conditions and those need to be implemented correctly ->01[12:09] <@OzZy_M> there were two you were doing ->01[12:09] <@OzZy_M> that were related? [12:09] <_YJ> yes and then IOVedit is [12:10] <_YJ> IOVEdit is same as IOVEdit except that i offers two special services [12:10] <_YJ> which are [12:10] <_YJ> 1. supporting help messages 2. supporting data validation ->01[12:10] <@OzZy_M> ok ->01[12:11] <@OzZy_M> can you explain a little more on those 2 extra services [12:11] <_YJ> and of course IOVEdit inherit IOEdit class ->01[12:11] <@OzZy_M> where do the extra services fall in the big picture [12:12] <_YJ> I'm trying to find description of help function and validation function [12:12] <TonyKim> Inherit IOEdit class to a Validated line editor class called IOVEdit. ->01[12:12] <@OzZy_M> so [12:12] <TonyKim> IOVEdit ->01[12:12] <@OzZy_M> they are separate functions? ->01[12:12] <@OzZy_M> so ->01[12:13] <@OzZy_M> altogether, Yujin, how many functions are you proposing to write? [12:13] <_YJ> I have no idea where those two functions came from [12:13] <_YJ> I'm going to write [12:13] <_YJ> 13 functions ->01[12:13] <@OzZy_M> ok ->01[12:13] <@OzZy_M> so I'm assuming ->01[12:13] <@OzZy_M> the ones you picked ->01[12:13] <@OzZy_M> are the most time consuming? [12:14] <_YJ> no I don't think so ->01[12:14] <@OzZy_M> ok [12:14] <_YJ> the reason is that [12:14] <_YJ> 5 of them is constructor and destructor [12:14] <_YJ> which are easy [12:14] <_YJ> and ->01[12:14] <@OzZy_M> wow ->01[12:14] <@OzZy_M> I'm sorry ->01[12:15] <@OzZy_M> Instead of function ->01[12:15] <@OzZy_M> I meant to say CLASSES ->01[12:15] <@OzZy_M> sorry [12:15] <_YJ> and 4 of them is simply retrieving data memebr ->01[12:15] <@OzZy_M> you're doing 2 CLASSES right? [12:15] <_YJ> LOL [12:15] <_YJ> YES [12:15] <_YJ> just two [12:15] <_YJ> LOL [12:15] <_YJ> we have only 7 classes to do ->01[12:15] <@OzZy_M> aweseom ->01[12:15] <@OzZy_M> and you are doing IOEdit and IOVedit? [12:15] <_YJ> yes ->01[12:16] <@OzZy_M> and Stephanie? [12:16] <slaw12> i want to do iolabel [12:16] <TonyKim> I'm doing "IOForm". ->01[12:16] <@OzZy_M> awesome ->01[12:17] <@OzZy_M> want to explain what iolabel does? ->01[12:17] <@OzZy_M> wait ->01[12:17] <@OzZy_M> are not some of these classes children of others? [12:17] <slaw12> yes ->01[12:18] <@OzZy_M> then we should be writing the parents first [12:18] <TonyKim> Yes [12:18] <slaw12> there's a hierarchy shown in the assignment description ->01[12:18] <@OzZy_M> which are the base classes? [12:18] <TonyKim> IOFrame ->01[12:18] <@OzZy_M> no ->01[12:18] <@OzZy_M> doesn't the inheritance go more than one level? [12:18] <_YJ> http://zenit.senecac.on.ca/wiki/index.php/OOP344_20102_TextEdit#Class_Hierarchy [12:19] <_YJ> follow this link [12:19] <_YJ> IOFrame is the most base class ->01[12:19] <@OzZy_M> most baserist? ->01[12:19] <@OzZy_M> anyways ->01[12:19] <@OzZy_M> so Yujin has the edit line ->01[12:19] <@OzZy_M> TonyKim you said textedit? [12:20] <TonyKim> IOFrame : ? [12:20] <TonyKim> IOField : ? [12:20] <TonyKim> IOLabel : Stephanie [12:20] <TonyKim> IOEdit,IOVEdit : Yujin [12:20] <TonyKim> IOForm : Tony [12:20] <TonyKim> IOTextEdit : ? ->01[12:20] <@OzZy_M> ok ->01[12:20] <@OzZy_M> i'll start with IOField ->01[12:20] <@OzZy_M> so [12:20] <TonyKim> IOFrame : Han ->01[12:20] <@OzZy_M> sounds good ->01[12:20] <@OzZy_M> now ->01[12:20] <@OzZy_M> we have how long to get this prj done? ->01[12:20] <@OzZy_M> < 4 weeks? [12:21] <TonyKim> Yup [12:21] <_YJ> IOTextEdit looks short and easy at the first sight [12:21] <_YJ> haha [12:21] <_YJ> I think so [12:21] <_YJ> but we need to finish early enough [12:21] <_YJ> let's get it done in 3 weeks [12:21] <_YJ> let's try to :-) [12:21] <slaw12> ok, let's aim for 3 weeks ->01[12:22] <@OzZy_M> ya [12:22] <slaw12> it gives us a buffer just in case we need it. :) [12:22] <TonyKim> Ya ->01[12:22] <@OzZy_M> we need ample time for testing ->01[12:22] <@OzZy_M> so ->01[12:22] <@OzZy_M> there are 5 of us right? ->01[12:22] <@OzZy_M> so ->01[12:22] <@OzZy_M> if we each get 1 class done in a week ->01[12:23] <@OzZy_M> that should leave us a lot of time to put everything together and test ->01[12:23] <@OzZy_M> so ->01[12:23] <@OzZy_M> by next sunday ->01[12:24] <@OzZy_M> is it good to assume we will have each had one function completed? [12:24] <_YJ> you mean [12:24] <_YJ> one class done ? ->01[12:24] <@OzZy_M> >_< ->01[12:24] <@OzZy_M> yes ->01[12:24] <@OzZy_M> some of these are not hard ->01[12:25] <@OzZy_M> the question is ->01[12:25] <@OzZy_M> can we create all these child classes without first doing the parent classes? [12:25] <slaw12> that 's what i was wondering [12:26] <TonyKim> Depending on it. [12:26] <TonyKim> That's why it is a parent class. ->01[12:26] <@OzZy_M> hmmm [12:26] <_YJ> each of us can try to finish their classes for one week ->01[12:26] <@OzZy_M> that makes sense [12:26] <slaw12> so we can't test the classes on their own ->01[12:26] <@OzZy_M> Well ->01[12:26] <@OzZy_M> ya [12:26] <_YJ> and when we have meeting on sunday ->01[12:26] <@OzZy_M> sounds good ->01[12:26] <@OzZy_M> but [12:26] <_YJ> then we can test our code ->01[12:26] <@OzZy_M> aside from OOP344 ->01[12:27] <@OzZy_M> what other classes do you guys have work for? [12:27] <_YJ> hmm just INT assignment ->01[12:27] <@OzZy_M> I got DBS/INT assignments/labs to do [12:27] <_YJ> and EAC150 research work [12:27] <slaw12> eac ->01[12:27] <@OzZy_M> and my elective research [12:28] <TonyKim> EAC150 research/DBS labs and assignment [12:28] <slaw12> damnit, it's suddenly getting busy. :P ->01[12:28] <@OzZy_M> damn ->01[12:28] <@OzZy_M> ok [12:28] <_YJ> getting busier is better ! [12:28] <_YJ> let's enjoy if we cannot avoid [12:28] <_YJ> haha ->01[12:28] <@OzZy_M> so [12:28] <slaw12> lol ->01[12:28] <@OzZy_M> sorry ->01[12:28] <@OzZy_M> gimme 1 second [12:29] <_YJ> http://zenit.senecac.on.ca/wiki/index.php/OOP344_20102_TextEdit [12:29] <_YJ> this is the link to the page that you guys can see task distribution [12:29] <TonyKim> The class IOFrame looks simple. Most functions are virtual. ->01[12:29] <@OzZy_M> I'm not worried about IOFrame ->01[12:29] <@OzZy_M> so ->01[12:29] <@OzZy_M> Thursday [12:29] <TonyKim> I suppose that we can program our classe without it. ->01[12:29] <@OzZy_M> after class [12:30] <TonyKim> ok ->01[12:30] <@OzZy_M> are we all able to get together for maybe 15-30 mins ->01[12:30] <@OzZy_M> to go over what each of us have done so far? ->01[12:30] <@OzZy_M> we need to be in a state of high communication ->01[12:30] <@OzZy_M> we can't just take our pieces and seclude ourselves and work [12:31] <slaw12> sounds good [12:31] <TonyKim> ok [12:31] <_YJ> sound very good ozzy ->01[12:31] <@OzZy_M> ok ->01[12:31] <@OzZy_M> and han has no choice :P ->01[12:31] <@OzZy_M> lol [12:31] <_YJ> so thursday after OOP344 class ? ->01[12:31] <@OzZy_M> yes ->01[12:31] <@OzZy_M> I would like wednesday [12:31] <_YJ> oh no problem ->01[12:31] <@OzZy_M> but I have my elective after class ->01[12:32] <@OzZy_M> but I'm free after [12:32] <TonyKim> I have EAC150 after the OOP class. ->01[12:32] <@OzZy_M> thursday? [12:32] <TonyKim> on Wednesday ->01[12:32] <@OzZy_M> oh ->01[12:32] <@OzZy_M> ya [12:32] <_YJ> who is not available on thursday after OOP344 ? ->01[12:32] <@OzZy_M> I think we're all good thursday ->01[12:32] <@OzZy_M> regardless ->01[12:33] <@OzZy_M> I just want to meet more than once a week so we're all on the same page. ->01[12:33] <@OzZy_M> so ->01[12:33] <@OzZy_M> at this point ->01[12:33] <@OzZy_M> does anyone see any problems ->01[12:33] <@OzZy_M> in regard to writing their classes? ->01[12:33] <@OzZy_M> or anything else? ->01[12:33] <@OzZy_M> anything [12:34] <TonyKim> Well... I don't know yet. [12:34] <slaw12> no not right now ->01[12:34] <@OzZy_M> I know in a few weeks I'm going to be SUPER busy getting ready for exams ->01[12:34] <@OzZy_M> so [12:34] <_YJ> me too ->01[12:34] <@OzZy_M> the faster we do this ->01[12:34] <@OzZy_M> the better [12:34] <_YJ> yes. [12:34] <slaw12> agreed ->01[12:34] <@OzZy_M> because testing takes a while [12:34] <_YJ> yes [12:34] <_YJ> so thursday after OOP344 for sure ? ->01[12:34] <@OzZy_M> while on the subject of testing ->01[12:34] <@OzZy_M> yes [12:34] <_YJ> okay I will put that on my scheduler ->01[12:35] <@OzZy_M> when creating your programs ->01[12:35] <@OzZy_M> try and keep a track of ways to test your program ->01[12:35] <@OzZy_M> obviously ->01[12:35] <@OzZy_M> do not create extra programs if you can help it ->01[12:35] <@OzZy_M> just try and get the class done in a compilable state [12:35] <TonyKim> ok ->01[12:35] <@OzZy_M> and then we'll create testing programs ->01[12:35] <@OzZy_M> btw TonyKim ->01[12:36] <@OzZy_M> How do you feel about that Tester position we were talking about? ->01[12:36] <@OzZy_M> creating test programs to test our code [12:37] <TonyKim> Creating test programs? That's it or Do I post the problems to the lighthouse? ->01[12:38] <@OzZy_M> well ->01[12:38] <@OzZy_M> first ->01 <@OzZy_M> does everyone like that kid carrier idea (the one catherine suggested) about having one person dedicated to testing code? ->01[12:38] <@OzZy_M> I mean ->01[12:38] <@OzZy_M> at this point ->01[12:38] <@OzZy_M> It doesn't make sense ->01[12:38] <@OzZy_M> but later ->01[12:38] <@OzZy_M> It might [12:39] <TonyKim> We need a test program as Fardad did? ->01[12:39] <@OzZy_M> no ->01[12:39] <@OzZy_M> we need to make our own methods of testing our code ->01[12:39] <@OzZy_M> Catherine will NOT be releasing test mains and such ->01[12:39] <@OzZy_M> so we have only ourselves to rely upon to make sure everything is done right ->01[12:40] <@OzZy_M> I guess we can talk about that later [12:40] <_YJ> I thought she will post the test main. ->01[12:40] <@OzZy_M> lol ->01[12:40] <@OzZy_M> no [12:40] <_YJ> near to the end ->01[12:40] <@OzZy_M> she said in class that she isn't going to be posting any test mains ->01[12:40] <@OzZy_M> I'm pretty sure I heard her say that... [12:41] <slaw12> i heard that too ->01[12:41] <@OzZy_M> you can ask her [12:41] <_YJ> OMG ->01[12:41] <@OzZy_M> but I'm pretty sure she said that [12:41] <slaw12> we have to make up our own :( [12:41] <_YJ> that is so mean [12:41] <_YJ> LOL ->01[12:41] <@OzZy_M> lol ->01[12:41] <@OzZy_M> well ->01[12:41] <@OzZy_M> we would have to learn how to test our code SOME time. ->01[12:41] <@OzZy_M> now is the time [12:41] <_YJ> oh yeah [12:41] <slaw12> never! ->01[12:41] <@OzZy_M> lol [12:41] <slaw12> :P ->01[12:41] <@OzZy_M> ok ->01[12:42] <@OzZy_M> remember ->01[12:42] <@OzZy_M> our naming conventions that we all agreed upon ->01[12:42] <@OzZy_M> because if we're inconsistant at all ->01[12:42] <@OzZy_M> I'm sure we will loose marks [12:42] <TonyKim> ok ->01[12:42] <@OzZy_M> Anything else anybody else would like to discuss or bring up? [12:43] <_YJ> for now I can't think of anything [12:43] <_YJ> except [12:43] <_YJ> that we better make sure to use lighthouse frequently ->01[12:43] <@OzZy_M> yes [12:43] <_YJ> I posted on message already [12:43] <_YJ> haha [12:43] <_YJ> on -> one [12:44] <_YJ> OH [12:44] <_YJ> wait a moment [12:44] <_YJ> we didn't assign the class " IOTextEdit" to somebody [12:44] <_YJ> we can make han to do it ->01[12:44] <@OzZy_M> there are more classes than people [12:44] <_YJ> kkk ->01[12:45] <@OzZy_M> we will get to the rest when we get there [12:45] <_YJ> okay ->01[12:45] <@OzZy_M> just focus on what YOU are supposed to do [12:45] <_YJ> cool ->01[12:45] <@OzZy_M> let me worry about the rest [12:45] <_YJ> so .. our meeting done ? ->01[12:45] <@OzZy_M> pretty much ->01[12:45] <@OzZy_M> so ->01[12:45] <@OzZy_M> Aside from group meetings ->01[12:46] <@OzZy_M> EVERYTHING should be posted to lighthouse ->01[12:46] <@OzZy_M> do not use email for anything related to the project [12:46] <TonyKim> ok [12:46] <slaw12> ok ->01[12:46] <@OzZy_M> Ok ->01[12:46] <@OzZy_M> So ->01[12:46] <@OzZy_M> I'm going to be online for the rest of the day [12:47] <_YJ> and it might be good idea to subscribe lighthouse ->01[12:47] <@OzZy_M> I'll probably work on my INT/DBS assignments first then on OOP344 ->01[12:47] <@OzZy_M> What do you mean _YJ? [12:47] <_YJ> you get e-mail alerts whenever there are new posts on lighthouse ->01[12:47] <@OzZy_M> where do you set that? [12:48] <_YJ> click on your ID [12:48] <_YJ> it will lead u to profile page [12:48] <_YJ> click edit profile [12:49] <_YJ> and one of options is E-mail preferences ->01[12:49] <@OzZy_M> I don't think that emails you if NEW tickets are posted ->01[12:49] <@OzZy_M> only those you are watching ->01[12:49] <@OzZy_M> but ->01[12:49] <@OzZy_M> it still works I guess [12:50] <_YJ> :-) ->01[12:50] <@OzZy_M> Ok [12:50] <_YJ> then have a nice day everybody ->01[12:50] <@OzZy_M> I'll be on the rest of the day [12:50] <slaw12> isn't that under my subcriptions ->01[12:50] <@OzZy_M> If you need me holler [12:50] <_YJ> maybe you are right steph ->01[12:50] <@OzZy_M> awesome [12:50] <slaw12> select the project and it will notify of all new tickets and messages ->01[12:51] <@OzZy_M> good find! ->01[12:51] <@OzZy_M> Alright I'm going to post this log to the site [12:51] <TonyKim> good! [12:51] <slaw12> aight