Manage downloads to Temp Directory
Manage Downloads to Temp Directory
Previously known as "Modify Firefox to handle files downloaded to Temp more appropriately".
Often files downloaded by the browser are put in a temporary folder that is emptied on close. Users (and especially novice users) should be protected from inadvertent data loss as a result of important files being saved to this temp folder. This project will add fixes to the browser so that users are protected. Ideas include:
- Make Firefox aware of common productivity file types (e.g., .doc, .pdf) and whitelist these types so they aren't deleted
- Have office type files download automatically to a documents folder instead of temp
- Firefox could check the timestamp of such files and delete them only if the timestamp is the same as when it was originally saved by the browser (i.e., has not been edited)
- Warn the user on closing the browser that files are going to be removed
- Assuming files still exist on start-up (see above), alert the user that these files are still there (similar to "New Session or Restart Existing?" dialog)
- Have the browser pop-up a Save As dialog instead of automatically saving to temp, and use a documents path
Other ideas are possible, and a combination of these might be necessary. Ultimately, this fix should target regular users without much knowledge of the filesystem.
|09/23/08 - Created this project page|