MAP524/DPS924 Assignment1 - 2015-02
This semester you'll design and build an Android mobile phone application that is purposeful, unique and ready to be uploaded to the Google Play Store. You will divide your effort into two parts. This is part 1.
Weight: 10% of final grade
Due date: 1 November at 23:59
Late policy: 10% per day late, and to pass the course you must complete the assignment whether you get marks for it or not.
Resubmission policy: you may be asked to resubmit your assinment if it's not good enough. The late penalties will not be waved in this case.
You will submit a mobile app proposal as a PDF file named yourusername_asg1.pdf (obviously replacing yourusername with your username). To submit it push your file to GitHub (see GitHub section below) and submit only a link to it in Blackboard. Your document must contain at least the following items:
- Title page including your name and email.
- Executive summary of proposed app.
- Explanation why a mobile app is a good choice for this project.
- Degree students only: summary of the business case for why someone would pay you to create this app.
- Brief list of basic app features.
- Summary of expected users/market for this app.
- Descriptions of most common use-cases anticipated.
- Mock-ups of views of your proposed app, preferably screenshots.
- Timeline for implementation.
A well-written proposal can get full marks whether I accept it for the final assignment or not. But you probably would rather get it right the first time. To do that - make sure the project you pick is not too easy or too hard. Since you may not know what that means - it's probably a good idea to check with me about it first.
Note that the quicker you get this done the more time you'll have to work on the second assignment - which will be the implementation of this app.
Your app must use and be based around data from the Government of Canada Open Data web site preferably in XML or JSON format. Other formats may be considered but must first be approved by your instructor. Each student will choose a different dataset for their app. The following table will track student choices which will be assigned on a first-come first-served bases. You may edit the table yourself or if you don't have a wiki account: send me an email and I'll do it for you.
Your assignments must be submitted via GitHub, otherwise they will not be marked. That means you'll need a GitHub account and you'll need to enter it below or tell me what it is so I can give you access to your private repository.
Old data sets
The following data sets have already been used in the past so don't pick anything from this list. Please let me know if you really want to use one of them and we can talk about it.
- 2012 Charities Listings
- Air Quality Health Index Forecast
- Average household expenditure, by province
- Average household food expenditure, by province
- Benefit Program Guideline Tables
- Canada - International Students by Destination and Year in which Permit(s) became effective
- Canadian Forces Operations Database
- Canadian Importers Database (2013)
- Changes in Wildlife Species Disappearance Risks Indicator - Changes in risk of wildlife species disappearance from Canada, 2012
- Community Well-Being Index Database
- Country Travel Advice and Advisories
- Distribution of Average Loan Balance at Completion of Studies by Amount
- Drug Product Database - All Files
- Food and other selected items, average retail prices (monthly)
- Foreign exchange rates in Canadian dollars
- Fuel Consumption Ratings
- Historical Border Wait Times
- Indexation Factors, Tax Brackets, and Tax Rates for the 2014 Individual Income Tax and Benefit Return
- Large lakes
- Meteorological Forecast
- Money services business registry
- Natural Tourist Attractions - UNESCO World Heritage Sites
- Parks Canada Master List of Fees
- Recalls and Safety Alerts
- The Canadian Nutrient File: Nutrient Value of Some Common Foods
- Vehicle Recalls - Last 60 Days