HOWTO: Access Your Matrix Account
Once you have a Matrix account, below are some ways you can access the Matrix server at Seneca.
Use Windows on Seneca Lab PCs
- Boot up the PC normally, by default it will boot to Windows.
- Login to Windows using your MySeneca account.
- Find on the desktop the Seneca MyApps and double-click it to open.
- Find the search bar on the top left of the webpage (not the Firefox web browser search) that looks like the one below:
- Start typing "SSH Secure Shell Connection Client"
- Hover over the SSH Secure Shell Client thumbnail and then click "Launch"
- Once the application opens click the "Quick Connect" button.
- Provide the following information:
- Host Name: matrix.senecacollege.ca
- Username: (your Matrix/MySeneca username)
- Click connect.
- Enter your password when asked and answer Yes to any other popups.
- You should now be connected to Matrix.
Use a home computer running Windows
- Go to https://ict.senecac.on.ca/~uli101
- Under the details of Week 1 you should see "Links to Windows ssh clients (access matrix from home)".
- Left click one of the clients, and download to your desktop.
- If you chose Putty you will have downloaded a .exe file (there is no need to install), the others need installation by double-clicking. If you have problems during installation, you may need to right-click and select "Run as administrator".
- Double-click the icon that was created. If you chose SSH/SFTP, double-click SSH, there is no need for the SFTP icon so you may as well delete it.
- A window will open that asks for connection information.
- For Putty, provide the following information:
- Host Name: email@example.com
- Replace username with your Matrix/MySeneca username then click "Open".
- For SSH, use Host Name matrix.senecac.on.ca, provide your User Name, then click "Connect".
- For Bitvise, use Host matrix.senecac.on.ca, provide your Username, then click "Log in".
- Enter your password when prompted. You will not see the cursor move but you are indeed entering your password. (Answer "yes" to any questions that you must answer).
- You are now connected to the Matrix server. You can work on your assignments or access your files.
Use SSH on a Mac Computer
- In a new Finder window, open: Applications > Utilities > Terminal
- On the command line type:
- Enter your password when prompted.
- Answer yes to any questions it may ask you.
- You should now be connected to Matrix. You can work on your assignments or access your files.