General HW enablement
General Hardware Enablement of WiFi & Bluetooth Using Trim Slice
Most of the devices fedora supports actually only use a small amount of the hardware that is on the device. Whether it is something simple like graphics and sound or more complex features such as GYRO, GPS, FM Radio, WiFi, Bluetooth, etc. There's also some other devices that would be interesting to support like the Snowball, Origen, or even the Vivaldi Tablet. Some definitely need FW and hence probably packaging if it's not in the linux-firmware dumping ground. Having considered all of this information, it is our intention to enable WiFi & Bluetooth on the Trim Slice board using Fedora 17 as our platform.
Relevant On-Line Resources:
- Trim-Slice (Official Website): Trim-Slice
- Trim-Slice HW Details: Trim-Slice Specs
- Trim-Slice Features: Trim-Slice Features
- Trim-Slice Linux: Trim-Slice Linux
- Trim-Slice Articles: Trim-Slice Articles
- Check out other projects within SBR-600: Other Projects
Here are some Trim-Slice Projects in motion: Trim-Slice Projects
As you can see, there are many projects being researched, each with their own little community. We would have liked to thank everyone involved with these projects individually, but there are too many names to mention. One might consider it to be non-practical to list each individual separately (we are talking about hundreds of people involved).
Instead, we would like to thank EVERYONE involved with these projects as a whole, as their research is helping us with our project. It is because of these individuals that the Trim-Slice community thrives. Keep up the good work everyone!!!
That being said, because our research revolves around Fedora, we would like to send out a special thanks to the individuals who's projects are similar to ours:
- lesliew (Forum Author)
- HenrikN (Forum Author)
- Expected outcome: The identified features will be supported on the identified board(s) within Fedora.
- Skills required: packaging, kernel/module building, testing
- Maximum number of students: One per hardware feature to be supported
- Resources: Chris Tyler (ctyler), Peter Robinson (pbrobinson)
Here are our goals for each release and plans for reaching those goals:
- 0.1 - Packaging: Getting our package compiled within a fedora platform.
- 0.2 - Upgrading: Upgrading our package to a qualified level, followed by a submission to the Fedora Packaging Review Committee.
- 0.3 - Presentation: Prepare a plan for our package presentation.
- Take advantage of tracking mechanisms such as: bugzilla, trac, github, etc.
- Using our key contacts: Chris Tyler (ctyler), Peter Robinson (pbrobinson).
We are currently attempting to find a new and appropriate mailing list of which to subscribe to. However there does not seem to be a specific mailing list that revolves around Trim-Slice projects. We will attempt to find a more generic mailing list that can be of some assistance to this project. Once found, we will let you know and update this section.
As of now, we are currently subscribed to these mailing lists:
Here is a link to the mailing lists: Mailing Lists
Upsteam Wiki and Web