- 1 Debugging Threads in Intel Parallel Studio
- 2 Intel® Parallel Studio XE
- 3 Intel Inspector
- 4 Intel VTune™ Amplifier
Debugging Threads in Intel Parallel Studio
Intel® Parallel Studio XE
Intel Parallel Studio XE is a software development tool suite for compiling applications and optimizing performance with less effort.
The Intel C++ Compiler is not the only tool that comes with IPS XE 2019. It also includes next applications:
- Intel® Advisor
- Intel® Inspector
- Intel® VTune™ Amplifier
Let's take a quick look at each of them:
Vectorization optimization and thread prototyping.
Use this tool in the vectorization and threading stages of the flow.
Memory and thread debugger.
Use this tool to find races, deadlocks, and illegal memory accesses.
- Locate root cause errors early―before you release
- Quickly debug intermittent races and deadlocks
Intel® VTune™ Amplifier
Use this tool in the threading and bandwidth optimization stages and for advanced vectorization optimization.
- Save money: Locate root cause errors early―before you release
- Save time: Quickly debug intermittent races and deadlocks
Intel Inspector is a dynamic memory and threading error checking instrument to inspect serial and multi-threaded programs.
Intel Inspector comes with Intel Parallel Studio XE along with two other debugging tools - VTune and Advisor.
Create a project
There are 2 ways to work with inspector.
- Run inspector directly from Visual Studio
This is the easiest and fastest way that requires no additional configurations.
- Run as a separate program.
Working with Intel Inspector application requires passing it a compiled version of your program. Additionally you may need to link some libraries (lib, dll, etc).
Configure a project
Intel suggests using small data set sizes and load threads with small chunks of work..
This will reduce run time and the speed of the analysis.
Choose analysis type
Inspector allows you to choose between predefined types of analysis.
- Memory error analysis
- Detect leaks
- Detect Memory problems
- Locate memory problems
- Threading error analysis
- Detect deadlocks
- Detect deadlocks and data races
- Locate deadlocks and data races
- Custom analysis types - users can create their own types based on selected preset type.
How it works
Inspector performs the analysis in multiple steps:
1. The program is executed
2. It identifies problems that may need to be resolved.
3. Gathers problems.
4. Converts symbol information into filenames and line numbers.
5. Applies suppression rules.
6. Removes duplicates.
7. Creates problem sets.
8. Opens a debugging session.
Intel VTune™ Amplifier
Intel VTune amplifier is a analysis software that allows you the ability to measure performance of your serial or multithreaded program. VTune allows you to analyze the performance of your algorithms and multithreading. It can help with debugging threads by calculating overhead, finding bottlenecks or inefficiencies.
Create a project
I will be explaining how to use VTune part Intel® Parallel Studio XE 2019 of the alongside Visual Studio 2017. Intel® Parallel Studio XE can be found here: https://software.intel.com/en-us/parallel-studio-xe. Once installed you will be able to find VTune in the tools tab inside Visual Studio.