Firefox Performance Testing Lab Fall 2010
The goal of this lab is twofold. First, to provide students with a real-world experience of working collaboratively in an open community; and second, to work on a cutting-edge, but manageable project within the Mozilla community.
To conduct A/B performance tests of the Chrome Experiments using nightly builds of both Firefox and Chrome, in order to identify performance bottlenecks in Firefox. Also, to profile and file bugs in order to fix these issues.
- As a group determine a method for dividing the Chrome Experiments so they all get tested
- Install both the Firefox and Chrome nightly builds
- Test each experiment in the two browsers, looking for various issues:
- Speed - is Firefox as fast as Chrome at rendering the graphics?
- Smoothness - are the graphics as smooth as in Chrome? Do you notice a lot of pauses, jerkiness, etc.?
- Responsiveness - does Firefox remain responsive while you run the demo? Is it pegging your CPU(s)?
- Record your findings, as well as browser and computer info ([about:support], [about:]) in the Results Spreadsheet.
- Chrome Experiments
- Results Spreadsheet. Talk to Dave to get permissions in order to edit.
- Firefox (i.e., Minefield) nightly builds
- Chrome (i.e., Chromium) nightly builds
- Example performance bug
Tests: Initial First Round
(humph) Let's refine this a bit more, such that we track:
Name of Experiment | URL of Experiment | Your Name | Date of Test | Hardware Info | Browser Info | Firefox Performance - Speed | Firefox Performance - Smoothness | Firefox Performance - Responsiveness | Notes and other Details |
(carl) Separate or cumulative results page?
|Test No.|| Name
|101-110||Crystal de Nobrega||Results|
Tests: Second Round
|Test||Tester||Problem|| Additional Info |
|Lorenz 84||Stephen Bologna||Caused the browser to freeze for several seconds at a time, and could not interact with the test when it unfroze.|
|FlowerPower||Kaitlyn Callow||Will not run in windows 7 64bit using mindfield 32bit.. works in mac fine. Win32 build from 2010-09-17 10pm (Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:2.0b7pre) Gecko/20100917 Firefox/4.0b7pre) also doesn't work.|
|Cheloniidae Live||Kaitlyn Callow||Not running.|| Returning error:
Error: console is not defined Source File: http://spencertipping.com/beta/cheloniidae-live-b1/script.js Line: 2
NOTE: All bugs related to what we find should have [chromeexperiments] in the bug's Whiteboard field, so we can track them. The following Bugzilla search will list them all: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=[chromeexperiments]