Fall 2008 SPR720 Weekly Schedule
The tentative weekly schedule shown here is subject to change.
- 1 Week 1 (Sept 1) - Intro to Open Source / Command-line Basics
- 2 Week 2 (Sept 8) - Bash Scripting Basics I
- 3 Week 3 (Sept 15) - Bash Scripting Basics II
- 4 Week 4 (Sept 22) - Makefiles
- 5 Week 5 (Sept 29) - Creating SPEC files and RPMs
- 6 Week 6 (Oct 6) - RPM Scripts
- 7 Week 7 (Oct 13) - Creating a Repository
- 8 FSOSS and Break Week (Oct 20)
- 9 Week 8 (Oct 27) - Using Mock
- 10 Week 9 (Nov 3) - Python Scripting Basics I
- 11 Week 10 (Nov 10) - Python Scripting Basics II
- 12 Week 11 (Nov 17) - Using Libvirt
- 13 Week 12 (Nov 24) - Project presentations
- 14 Week 13 (Dec 1) - Exam review
- 15 Exam Week (Dec 8)
Week 1 (Sept 1) - Intro to Open Source / Command-line Basics
- Course introduction
- Introduction to Open Source and Linux
- Introduction to/Review of the command line
- Why use the command line?
- Accessing the command line locally and remotely
- terminal programs
- Command recall and editing
- Linux Commands
- Builtin vs. external
- Types of arguments
- Option with value
- Filesystem hierarchy
- Accessing Documentation
- Documentation viewers
Week 2 (Sept 8) - Bash Scripting Basics I
- Blogging guidelines
Louis Suarez-Potts - Thursday Sept 11 2:15 pm
- Paul Frields - IRC chat Sept 11 5-6 pm
- Review: shell, commands, arguments
The Fedora Project
- What is a distribution?
- Main functions of a distribution
- Distributing (mirrors, media)
- The Fedora Distribution
- Community structure
- Participating in the Fedora community
- FAS2, mailing lists, wiki
Bash Scripting Basics
- Filesystem hierarchy
- Absolute paths: start with / indicating the root directory
- Relative-to-home paths: start with ~ indicating a home directory
- Relative paths: start with anything else, relative to "current" directory
- Why script?
- Create a FAS2 account, subscribe to Fedora mailing lists.
- Narrow down your project search to 2-4 of the Potential Projects
- Make sure you know how to use Vi -- if not, research its use.
IRC Session: Paul Frields
Paul Frields is the Fedora Project Leader. He will be meeting with us in freenode:#seneca from 5-6 pm on Thursday (Sept 11) during the SPR720 lab time.
Week 3 (Sept 15) - Bash Scripting Basics II
- Narrow your project selection to one project by September 22.
- Complete the SPR720 BASH Scripting Lab and blog your reflections on the experience. Include a link to one of your scripts in the blog.
Week 4 (Sept 22) - Makefiles
Week 5 (Sept 29) - Creating SPEC files and RPMs
Week 6 (Oct 6) - RPM Scripts
Guest speaker: Andrew Overholt
Andrew Overholt works at Red Hat's Toronto office on Eclipse.