DPS909 & OSD600 Fall 2019 - Lab 3
Getting Ready for Hacktoberfest
Friday Sept 27 before midnight.
Our goal is to make a plan for what you'll work on, and to set some personal goals.
Step 1: Read Release 0.2
Begin by reading Release 0.2, and familiarize yourself with what's expected for this assignment.
Step 2: Set some Personal Goals
Think about what your goals will be during October. You are expected to "progress" as you work. What will progress mean for you? For example, you might:
- learn a new programming language
- use your ability in a language other than English to help do translations
- get involved in a project that you find interesting
- work on code fixes that relate to some programming topic that you love
- learn more about how to use git
- meet new people in a particular community
- see your code ship in a project/product you use every day
- help mentor other people as they work on fixes
- work with other developers in the class or across the globe
- do something that seems hard or scary to you right now
Come up with at least 2 goals for yourself. Make sure they are something you can commit to in the time you have. Don't set yourself up for failure by aiming too high. Open source is all about small, incremental steps. Success breeds success.
Step 3: Find Projects/Issues to Work On
With your goals in mind, use the links in the Release 0.2 doc to start finding suitable Projects and Issues to work on during October. Find at least 3 possible Issues you'd be interested in attempting. NOTE: it's OK if you don't end up working on these, but it's good to have a start. You can also give them to other students if they need an issue.
Step 4: Blog
Write a blog post that discusses everything you did, decided, and found in Steps 1-3 above. Talk about how you'll approach Hacktoberfest and your 2+ goals. Why did you choose them? Why are they important to you? What will you do to achieve them? How will you measure your own progress?
Talk about the projects and issues (3+) you found. Why did you pick them? What will you do in order to prepare yourself to start working on the fixes?
Complete the steps above and then add your information to the table below.