DPS901 Cerebral Thought
committed by [NAME] / being committed by [NAME]
|Shayan Zafar Ahmad||Sound|
Group - Cerebral Thought Members
- Rick Eyre
- Jordan Raffoul
- Gerald Wan
- Shayan Ahmad
Game Name - Abstract Flyer
The focus of our game will not be in ‘gaming’ content (i.e. storyline, world map, leveling up, etc) but will be focused on the amount of technical features that we can incorporate into the game. As such our game is more of a showcase for the various technical aspects that we have incorporated into the game then a game that a user would have fun playing.
The user will control a ‘ship’ and will be able to fly around in a three dimensional world that will be filled with floating ‘abstract’ objects. Some of these objects can be: rocks with plants on them and others might be furniture. In short, any object that we decide to incorporate into the game as an object in the users contextual field will be there. The user will be able to switch between different models for the ship (i.e. airplane, space ship, cow, etc). The user will also be able to shoot other objects and rotate the camera angle independent of velocity.
This game will be a showcase of the various technical aspects that we have incorporated into the game the user will be able to turn those feature on and off. For example, pressing the button W will turn the weather effects on and off while pressing the button P will turn physical textures on and off. In this way the user will be able to compare between the ‘off’ mode and the ‘on’ mode and will be able to see the effects of the technical additions we have made to the game.
In terms of sound, there will be sound for every event in the game. Events include: an object being “destroyed”, a weapon firing, and toggle events that change the environment such as weather. This game gives the user control of various features of the game. The sound and music will change in order to accommodate the user. User events that influence sound are: changing background music, changing the ship which uses different weapons, and the change in weather.There is sound for user interface mouse-over and button click events.
The graphic improvements will be weather patterning (rain, fog, sunshine, snow, etc.), collision detection, simple easy-to-use UI, and improvements on Texturing. For input we will support the XBox 360 plug in controller and the keyboard and mouse.
Goal - Our game will attempt to focus more on the technical aspects of game development and less on story line and content. In this way we will seek to improve our understanding of DirectX and the techniques used in game programming.
- The user will have control over a small spaceship that can fly in any direction.
- The world will be populated by floating rocks and random objects.
- The world will be 'unlimited' in space in that once the user reaches a certain point it will loop back to the other side of the map.
- The user will be able to turn on and off features of the game that we have created. Such as textures, weather patterning, event driven sound, etc.
- The user will be able to cycle between different models for their spaceship.
- The user will be able to shoot at objects, use after burners to speed up the ship, zoom in and out the camera angle, and rotate the camera angle in any direction independent of velocity.
- The user will be able to save and load the game.
All features are tentative. Order of priority will precede from bullet point #1 as first, #2 as second, etc. We will do our best to incorporate all features listed here into the game. However, it is understood that game programming is hard and that features can be dropped or added at any time in accordance with the level of difficulty that we are experiencing.
- Weather patterning - rain, fog, clouds, lightning, lighting effects.
- Improve Textures - optimize the texture usage in the GPU.
- Physical Textures - rough, hard, smooth, fluffy, etc.
- Custom UI - simple, intuitive, aesthetically pleasing.
- Collision Detection - objects will not pass through each other, objects will affect other objects movement.
- Background, rain, thunder etc..)
- 3D sound: can occur if an object is shot at a distance
- Interface sounds: sound if user hovers over a button or selects something or saves/loads the game.
- Music: general background music
- Event driven Sound : shooting, impact, thrust
- Event driven Music: can change upon entering a new area or accomplishing something
- Environment sound FX (e.g weather)
- Add support for mouse and keyboard
- Add support for xbox 360 controller
Map of the World of the Game
Moderator's - Instructors Comments
Team Meeting Archive
|Meeting: #01||Date/Time: 09/19/2010:9:50am|
What type of features should a game have?
Create a list of technical features to implement and arrange for another meeting on thursday after class(09/23/2010 at 9:50am)
|Meeting: #02||Date/Time: 09/30/2010:11:00am|
What features can we start working on right now?