Canvas3D XUL Runner App 0.3
Here's the progress so far on v0.3 of the XUL Runner App project.
|☆ Windows →||Portable_Canvas_0.3w.zip|
|☆ Mac OS X →||(incomplete)|
Local files to be added!
- For now, a static file would be acceptable.
Portable Canvas to work on Mac
- Canvas elements display properly on Mac Mini!!
- However, the application simply refuses to run on Leopard
- This issue is common among other programs on Leopard, including Adobe CS3
- The app was simply missing canvas3d.xpt from the components folder
- Next steps are to figure out how to work with Leopard
- Windows version of Portable Canvas 0.3 is working!!
- Mac OS X version does not include its own copy of XUL Runner or demos
- How to exclude multiple pages in Wordpress: http://codex.wordpress.org/wp_list_pages
- File permissions in Wordpress: http://codex.wordpress.org/Changing_File_Permissions
- Sometimes, the loaded file will produce errors
- This can be "fixed" by loading the file again
- Should work 70%+ of the time
Progress simply must find the most round-about way of manifesting itself. The solution will be at your fingertips, but you'll have to walk a mile and 3/4 light year to get to it. It's like Mouse Trap, but many orders greater in complexity and many orders lesser in amusement...
Adventure into the Abyss
- Started off trying to get MyBrowser working on Mac in the ORI (Spain)
- Found this site and recognized it from 0.1 (helpful!): https://developer.mozilla.org/En/XULRunner:Deploying_XULRunner_1.8
- Began changing folder structure to match the example for Mac OS X
- Started looking for location of Mozilla source on this computer
- Found Minefield in Applications folder, but couldn't check its properties for the shortcut target
- Is clearly a Windows user, and does not understand the Mac paradigm. :/
- Required /Library/Frameworks/.../1.8/ according to the guide, this computer only has 1.9 and no Hg
- Downloaded Mozilla source from one of Humph's labs
- Modified .mozconfig to handle XUL Runner
- Discovered that there is no XUL Runner code in the lab's version of Mozilla source... (not so helpful)
- Still can't find a stub executable for Mac OS
- Realized that MyBrowser needs moz 1.9, not 1.8!!
- Still does not fix the missing XUL Runner code issue...
- Found the required framework files simply by looking in the expected locations!! (very helpful, but moderately shocking)
- Could not run the XUL app
- Remembered the "hack application.ini to change 1.8 requirement to 1.9" trick from v0.1
- Got MyBrowser working on Mac OS X!?! (...a first for me!)
This is where I cheer for joy inside. x3
Also, learned that <Shift>+<Command>+3 is a quick Print Screen shortcut, and produces pngs! Grab, on the other hand, is harder to access and produces memory-hogging tiffs.
Applying the Alchemy
- Compared the new and working MyBrowser structure with the old and current Portable Canvas structure
- Duplicated new structure in old folder and ran it
- Produced a program with no application menu choices and no interface, so it couldn't be closed
- Discovered <Control>+Clicking on the program in the dock, and the <Command>+<Alt>+<Esc> feature
- Realized I had renamed MyBrowser.jar to MyBrowser.zip earlier (because Macs can't open .jar, and are stubborn about limiting extensions to specific applications)
- Now have a running version of Portable Canvas on a Mac! ...which doesn't know how to display Canvas elements
Handy Mac shortcuts I learned today
- Displays all running programs, so you can kill them. =P
- Saves a screen shot of the desktop on the desktop, in png format. =D
- Got Sokoban demo to work locally
- The local file location is hard-coded at the moment, but changing this shouldn't be hard
- Received help from mfinkle!
- Tutorial 2 displays the html, but can't load anything in the canvas element.
- "createScene()" not found in the SDK.
- Include some (working) demos in the SDK.