CDOT Job Opportunities
CDOT projects employ students as Research Assistants (RAs) for co-op placements, summer jobs, and part-time work while studying at Seneca.
What You Should Know about Working at CDOT
CDOT Research Assistants are hired in four categories:
- Students Co-Ops - Full-time employment as part of the Seneca Student Co-op program.
- Summer Students - Full-time employment during the summer semester (May-August).
- Part-time - Part-time employment (up to 24 hours/week depending on study workload) while studying at Seneca.
- Graduate Time-Certain Contracts - Full-time non-renewable contracts, up to one year in duration, for positions requiring very specific skills. Graduate time-certain contract positions are generally filled from recent Seneca graduates who have previously worked in CDOT.
Research Assistant contracts are aligned with Seneca semesters:
- Winter: January - April
- Summer: May - August
- Fall: September - December
Each Research Assistant works on a specific applied research project, and requires a specific skill set. RAs work in teams under the technical direction of a faculty lead, and are funded by specific applied research grants and/or industry partners. There are typically 6-24 Research Assistants working in CDOT at any one time; the largest number of RAs is hired during the summer semester.
Because there is a limited number of CDOT Research Assistant positions available, competition for these positions is high, and CDOT hires applicants with strong skills. We also recommend that all applicants for Research Assistant positions:
- have experience as an Open Source community contributor, and/or
- have taken a Seneca course in Open Source (OSD600/DPS909, SBR600/DPI908, or SPO600).
The CDOT hiring process follows general industry practices:
- CDOT periodically posts job opportunities (see below)
- Applicants submit a resume and cover letter
- CDOT selects applicants for an interview
- Applicants and CDOT staff meet for one (or more) face-to-face interview(s)
- CDOT makes a job offer to the selected applicant(s)
- Upon acceptance of the job offer, the employee starts work at CDOT on the specified date and time
All CDOT employees must be eligible to work in Canada and must have a Canadian Social Insurance Number (SIN).
Watch for job postings here in the next few days.
Watch for CDOT job postings:
- In the Seneca Co-op listings, and
- On this web page.