2014 Open Source Project Case Study
This is a list of open source projects, communities, technologies, or companies that you can use as a basis of your case study. The final goal of the case study is a blog post and class presentation, wherein you are asked to discuss the following:
- What is it? Describe the project/technology.
- How is it licensed? What can one do with it, to it?
- Where is the code? Where are the docs? What are the project's main URLs?
- Who made it? Who is maintaining it? Who are the core community members? Give links to Github, Twitter, etc.
- Describe the community. How big is it? Where does it exist? What form does it take?
- What is important to the project/community? What are there processes like?
- How does the community communicate? Which tools does it favour?
- Who uses it? How is it used in the wild?
- How does one get involved?
Students in the DPS909 and OSD600 courses for fall 2014 should pick a project below, and immerse themselves in that community. Be prepared to present on the date specified, and to have your blog post published.
|Open Source Project||Student||Date (Mon or Wed)||Blog Link|
|Redis||Gary Deng||09/22/2014 (Monday)||TBD|
|node.js||Linpei Fan||October 1, 2014 (Wed)||TBD|
|browserify||Kieran Sedgwick||September 17th, 2014 (Wed)||To be posted|
|Grunt||Gideon Thomas||Movember 3, 2014 (Monday)||TBD|
|Firefox OS||Glaser King San Lo||October 6, 2014||TBD|
|AngularJS||Habib Zahoori||Oct 27,2014||TBA|
|Less.js||Jordan Theriault||Nov 10 (Monday)||http://jordantheriault.com/blog|
|Brackets||Shuming Lin||Oct 29,2014||TBD|
|Bootstrap||Ava Dacayo||November 5, 2014||TBD|
|Chromium||James Laverty||September 29th, 2014 (Monday)||jlaverty.blogspot.ca|
|SpiderMonkey||Jeremy Millar||Sept 24||http://openmillar.wordpress.com|
|RequireJS||Haiyu Qiao||Oct 13,2014 (Monday)||TBD|
|SQLite||Sanghyun Lee||Oct. 20th, 2014||TBD|